When we decided to go camping at Lake Louise by Miller, SD, we didn't realize what a treat was in store for us.
It started when I stepped out of the vehicle and felt all my stress disappear and it stayed away. I arrived back at work on Monday ... HAPPY! I think that says alot, when your good vibes stay with you even after we left.
Alas, it wasn't all good. We really needed one more day as we didn't get to walk the trails. Instead we went four-wheeling in my vehicle. That's where you just bounce from one end of the vehicle to the other as he took me thru ruts, ravines and loosely marked roads.
And then I almost neglect to tell you about the highlight of the trip. On the way home, there was a doe and her fawn in the middle of the field. And the fawn was nursing. I don't think in all my years have I seen a fawn actually nursing. (No doubt, momma didnt like us staring either!)
Also on the way back there was an old abandoned farmhouse where I had to fight the urge to go look inside. DH is quick to assert his authority with an unarguable NO when I make a suggestion.
Here's my 5 Steps to an awesome camping trip!
5. Friendly camp staff stopping at our campsite to see what we needed for firewood and ice and then delivering it! (thank you, SD GFP!)
4. Good friends who are great cooks too! Spareribs on the campfire, farm fresh sweet corn and tomatoes, peach cobbler in the cast iron dutch oven over the fire.
3. Sleeping with the windows open and picking out the sounds of the crickets, frogs, cicadas, ducks, owls, and whatever else was lurking in the trees.
2. Outdoor activities waiting for you ... no equipment checkout required, they had all the equipment ready right there. No forms, no trying to find someone, just fun! Checkers, Soccer, Volleyball, Softball, Bean Bag Toss and Horseshoes!
1. ZERO cellphone coverage. This wasn't planned and was a bit shocking to be so disconnected from the world, but it was fabulous! I have to say it was possibly one of the biggest highlights of the trip.
Simple living at its finest!
I'd love to hear about your camping memories! Penny